Are you shopping for car? Have you ever considered an all-electric vehicle?
On a typical weekday, we use our cars to commute to work, drop the kids off at school, pick up groceries and run errands. These trips add up to about 20 to 30 miles. That may not seem like a lot of miles but they do add up over time. In a year, those daily trips amount to approximately 6500 miles and dump over 2.1tons of heat-trapping greenhouse gas emissions into the air.
Now, wouldn’t it be great if you could eliminate those carbon emissions and still get around town?
Well, you can. An all-electric vehicle has a range of 80 to 90 miles after a single charge; that’s much farther than the daily trips most people drive on a typical weekday.
All you need to do is trade in your conventional gas-guzzling roadster for an all-electric vehicle (EV). When you do, you can qualify for a $1000 rebate from VLITE, plus a $7500 federal income tax credit (if applicable). That’s a good deal! But funding is limited to 200 incentives, so act quickly! Participating dealerships have incentive voucher forms on hand and will fill them out for you at the time of purchase. Then they can pass on the savings directly to you.
2016 Incentive Program Eligibility Requirements
- The incentive amount available varies depending on the size of the battery.
- Purchaser or lessee must be an individual who resides in Vermont. Businesses are not eligible.
- Limit of one rebate per household.
- The vehicle must meet the following conditions to qualify for the rebate:
- Must be made by a manufacturer of motor vehicles and be made primarily for use on public streets, roads and highways;
- Has not been modified from original manufacturer specifications;
- Has a maximum speed capability of at least 55 miles per hour;
- Is capable of being recharged from an external source of electric power,;
- Is a new vehicle, the equitable or legal title to which has never prior been transferred by a manufacturer, distributor or dealer to an ultimate purchaser;
- Has an odometer reading of under 500 miles at the time of purchase; and
- Is sold or leased to the Purchaser by a dealer participating in the Drive Electric Vermont rebate program.
- The vehicle must be registered in Vermont at the time of purchase or lease.
This incentive program is made possible through a grant from VLITE, a public benefit, nonprofit corporation.
List of Participating Dealers
- Almartin Volvo, Shelburne
- Audi South Burlington, South Burlington
- Automaster BMW, Shelburne
- Automaster Mercedes-Benz, Shelburne
- Brattleboro Ford, Brattleboro
- Cody Chevrolet, Montpelier
- Freedom Nissan, South Burlington
- Handy Chevrolet, St Albans
- Lamoille Valley Ford, Hardwick
- McMahon Chevrolet Buick, Morrisville
- Midstate Chrysler Dodge, Barre
- Midstate Hyundai of Vermont, Barre
- Quality Mitsubishi, St Johnsbury
- Rutland Volvo, Rutland
- Shearer Chevrolet, South Burlington
- Shearer Volkswagen, South Burlington
- Twin State Ford, St. Johnsbury