Are you a problem-solver who wants to be a part of a dynamic and innovative team? Someone who likes to be hands-on? Interested in renewable energy and combating climate change? Join us at Burlington Electric Department (BED).
We are a celebrated, vibrant, small city located on the eastern shoreline of Lake Champlain. Burlingtonians are diverse, forward-thinking citizens, surrounded by scenic beauty and recreational opportunities. We are steeped in arts and culture, and are engaged in the growth of our economy. Whether you are living in Burlington or relocating here, we are glad you have found us. Thank you for considering City of Burlington as a place to work.
Our mission at BED is to serve the energy needs of our customers in a safe, reliable, affordable, and socially responsible manner. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and offer careers in a variety of fields with competitive salaries and generous benefits to support our employees. BED is proud to be:
- First city in the nation to source 100% of its electricity from renewable generation
- Working to make Burlington a Net Zero Energy city across the electric, thermal, and ground transportation sectors by 2030
- Vermont’s largest municipal utility, serving approximately 21,000 customers
- Exclusive provider of electric service to the City of Burlington, an area of approximately 16 square miles, and the Burlington International Airport in South Burlington
- One of Vermont’s three electric efficiency utilities, helping Burlington use 8.8% less electricity today than in 1989
- Operator and 50% owner of the biomass-powered, 50MW Joseph C. McNeil Generating Station in Burlington’s Intervale