Electric vehicles are less expense to operate than conventional vehicles, emit no greenhouse gases or air pollution, and can be purchased with the help of a BED customer incentive. Want to learn more? Click the links below.
IRS Tax CreditYou can get up to $7,500 in tax credit when you buy a new EV this year.
BED RebateIn addition to a tax credit, we are offering rebates up to $1,800 on the purchase or lease of a new EV.
Financing OptionsOur partners are offering low- and, under certain circumstances, no-interest loans.
Charging StationsEV charging stations are coming online all the time around Burlington.
View the Map
Fuel & MaintenanceWhat does it cost to own an EV compared to a gas vehicle?
Visit Drive Electric Vermont
EV Owner Testimonials
What is it like to own an EV in Burlington? We asked a few of our neighbors about their experience.
Burlington Electric Department EV Rebate
We are offering Burlington customers a $1,200 rebate on the purchase or lease of a new electric vehicle. Qualifying plug-in hybrid vehicles are eligible for a $600 rebate. An additional $600 is available for moderate income customers (see rebate form for details).
We are offering this incentive as part of our effort to meet Vermont's Renewable Energy Standard, which supports utility programs that help customers reduce fossil fuel use in the heating and transportation sectors. Electric vehicles reduce fossil fuel use and can save money on fuel and maintenance costs compared to conventional gasoline-powered vehicles.
Compare the many approved EVs currently available at Drive Electric Vermont's website.
Terms & Conditions
- The MSRP must be $50,000 or less.
- For the $600 plug-in hybrid rebate, the vehicle must have an EPA-rated electric range of at least 20 miles.
- All-electric vehicles must have been leased or purchased on or after May 30, 2017.
- Plug-in hybrids must have been leased or purchased on or after June 8, 2017.
- This rebate is only for BED customers with active accounts.
- Vehicle must be registered in Burlington, Vermont.
- Limit one rebate per household or business.
- BED reserves the right to modify or end this offer at any time.
- This offer is valid through December 31, 2018.
To help transition more customers to electric vehicles, BED is partnering with 3 credit unions (Green Mountain Credit Union, Vermont Federal Credit Union, and VSECU) able to offer low- and, under certain circumstances, no-interest loans, and allowing Burlington Electric customers to apply their $600, $1,200, or $1,800 Burlington Electric EV incentives toward the purchase of EVs.
Charging station rates & fees.
Do you have questions about Electric Vehicles? Ask our Energy Services Team.