Rebates for 2023
Burlington Electric Department customers now have available the best combination of electrification incentives ever along Burlington’s path to Net Zero Energy. New and expanded BED electrification incentives, coupled with State of Vermont and Federal Inflation Reduction Act funds, provide significant financial assistance.
The following changes took effect on January 1, 2023. See Terms and Conditions for each item for details on when your purchase is eligible for a rebate.
- Heat Pumps: BED continues to offer substantial rebates up to 75 percent of the installed cost on ductless mini-split heat pumps and, new for 2023, is offering a $500 rebate for a second heat pump. Also, BED has introduced a new tier of higher rebates for centrally ducted heat pumps offering up to 75 percent of installed cost for more heating-efficient systems.
- Electric Vehicles (EVs) & Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles (PHEVs): Rebates will continue at 2022 levels with increased rebates (to $3,000) for new EVs for low- and moderate-income Burlingtonians.
- Home Car Charging Stations for Pre-Owned EVs: Rebates increased to $900 (from $700) to match rebates for charging new EVs. New and pre-owned PHEV home charger rebates will continue at $700.
- Car Charging Stations for Workplace: Rebates increased to $2,000 (from $1,500) for a Level 2 system and $10,000 for a Level 3 system with a minimum 50 kW output.
- Residential Electric Riding Lawnmowers: Rebates increased to $300 (from $200). Rebates for residential electric push lawnmowers will continue at $100.
- Heat Recovery Ventilators & Energy Recovery Ventilators: These ventilation systems bring fresh air into a home while exhausting stale and moist air from bathrooms, kitchens, and other locations. New this year, rebates range from $500 to $1,000.
- Bath Fan & Programmable Controllers: $110 (was $160) for Energy Star-qualified fans and approved control strategies.
- Energy Star Most Efficient (ESME): $40 (was $65)
- Energy Star: $25 (was $40)
- Dryers: Energy Star Most Efficient: $400 (was $600) – ventless models only
- Refrigerators for Rental Properties:
- ESME: $250 (was $425)
- Energy Star: $150 (was $250)
- Refrigerators for Home Owners: This program has ended.
- Continuing Rebates: Many popular rebates will continue, including for electric bikes, electric snow blowers, electric chainsaws, electric forklifts, electric lawn care equipment, commercial electric push lawnmowers, and electric motorcycles.
Tools to Help Assess Available Incentives
- BED’s Energy Services Team offers free consultations about electrifying homes.
- Rewiring America’s IRA Savings Calculator provides helpful guidance for federal home electrification incentives.
- Drive Electric Vermont details State of Vermont EV incentives.
- BED’s Net Zero Energy Podcast teaches about taking steps toward Net Zero Energy.
Read the full press release: Mayor Miro Weinberger, Burlington Electric, and Partners Announce New Incentives and On-Bill Financing Program